Over the years now, the use of solar lighting has been on the rise, especially for outdoor lighting. People love solar lighting for outdoor settings because they are affordable, eco-friendly, and energy-saving. With such benefits, you might now be interested in getting some for your home.
Solar landscape lighting is popular where people now illuminate their walkways and backyards with these lights. If that is something you would want to do, then this is the guide for you. Below, we look at the steps to take on how to install solar landscape lighting.
1. Choose the right solar lights
Even before you can start the whole process, you need the right solar lights. The market right now is filled with multiple solar light brands and products. Do a proper comparison to find the best lights that can serve you better. Now that you have the lights, let us proceed to the next step.
2. Come up with a layout for the lights
As much as you want them outdoors, there is a need to ensure that they still present some form of aesthetics. It is why you need to come up with the appropriate layout of setting up the lights. It can be along the walkways or around your yard.
Another reason you have to consider the layout is because of getting the right spots with maximum sun exposure. Solar lights need enough exposure to the sun throughout the day to fully recharge. If you live in an area that seems to be clouded all the time, then solar lighting might not be effective.
Once you have come up with the layout, it is now time to start the installation. The best part about solar lights if you never have to deal with wiring. All you have to do is stick them into the ground and you are good to go. This is for the lights that come with a stake for installing the light. Neatly stick them along the walkway or in the backyard.
If you opt for the wall-mounted models, most of them come with mounting brackets. Use the brackets to set up the lights in the appropriate position to ensure there is maximum exposure to sunlight.
4. Check the product manual if necessary
In most cases, the installation is generally straightforward. However, you might miss something and the light does not work as expected. At this point, it is best to check out the product manual to learn more about solar lights.
Some models of solar lights come with on and off switches that work based on sensors. If that is the case, you might have to adjust the sensor sensitivity and other settings to ensure the light is working correctly.
Below are some important considerations for anyone looking to install solar landscape lighting.
- We urge you to take enough time to find the right positioning for the lights. It is worth noting that solar lights need about 8 hours of sunlight to fully charge and illuminate the entire night.
- You should consider where you want to install the lights. This will determine the type of solar lights that you buy. For example, if you need lights for a pathway, then you need to get one that concentrates light on a narrower space. It can be a different configuration for backyard lights.
- Some manufacturers might fail to mention this, but you are supposed to charge the lights before installing them. This means that you expose them to sunlight for at least 12 hours to fully charge them.
- As part of maintenance, there is the need to clean the lights more often. Having too much dirt over the solar panel will make it hard for the light to reach the solar cells. They are small surfaces, so it should not take you long before you are done with the cleaning process.
- Before the installation of the lights, water the area you want to install the lights. It can be hard to push the stakes into dry soil.
From the guide above, it is easy to see that the whole installation process is not hard. Just make sure the location you pick for installation of the lights gives them enough sun exposure. Within a few steps, you should start to enjoy nights full of brightness from your solar lights.